Setting marketing goals is one thing – but how do you actually stick to them? New Year's resolutions can sometimes feel like a repeated exercise in setting yourself up for disappointment. Let's make this year different. How you set your marketing goals might be just as important as what they are. Here are a few tips to help you market your school online and reach your 2017 school marketing goals.
Build On Your Strengths
Resolutions often feel like they need to be massive transformations. The beginning of the year is a great time to commit to some of these big goals and it's also a good time to think about how to continue your momentum. Take the time to assess your 2016 marketing strategy and complete a SWOT analysis, examining your current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Think about the following:
- What are you great at that you would like to do more of? This could be anything from creating video content for social media, mastering Google Analytics or crafting engaging email campaigns.
- What are you grateful for in your job role that you would like to see continue? Do you get the opportunity to create a sense of belonging in your school community through school marketing? Do you have the flexibility to work across a variety of projects and learn new skills?
- What is working well that you can build on to take you in the direction you want to go?
Make Yourself Accountable
Publicly committing to a goal is a powerful way of holding yourself accountable. How can you keep yourself on the hook to stay focused on those resolutions? Set yourself SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound goals).
- Find a friend, colleague or mentor – someone trying to achieve a similar goal or someone who will keep tabs on you and not let you get away with excuses!
- Post your intentions on a relevant forum where you can record your progress, read others' stories, and get support. Our Facebook School Marketing Community is a great platform for discussing your goals and reaching out to other school marketers.
Know Why It's Important
Tie your goals to something that really matters and be clear about the benefits. If you want to refresh your school logo this year think about why your school's branding important to you in the larger scheme of things? What will change if you achieve your goal?
- Make this year's resolution one important step towards your long-term vision.
- You will feel more committed if your goals are connected to your personal values. Which of your personal values are you acting on when you are working towards your goal? For example, a resolution could be to be to automate your admissions process, saving you time and allowing you to achieve more during work hours, leaving more time to spend with family and friends.
Give Yourself Small Milestones
While a great big goal feels motivating, keeping yourself going may mean setting milestones along the way.
- Your first step towards your goal may be getting into the habit of a daily 10-minute practice that leads to the bigger achievement. For example, if you spent 10 minutes a day learning how to use Google Analytics or SEO, you'd soon be an expert and driving more organic traffic to your website and hopefully gaining more open day registrations.
- A reward at the end of a week or a month can be motivating. It could be something as simple as scheduling time to watch a TED talk or having coffee with a trusted colleague or mentor you've been meaning to catch up with!
- Break the bigger goals into smaller steps so you're achieving something noticeable more frequently.
Enjoy The Journey
When we try something new or pursue a challenge, we often learn surprising things about ourselves. Achieve more than you expected by focusing on the journey, not just the destination.
- Give yourself time to notice and appreciate what you are learning. Keep a notebook and make a list of new skills you've learned.
- Consider how else you or others will benefit from you working towards this goal. When the motivation for achieving the goal itself wanes, those side benefits can breathe new life into your resolve.
Keep It In The Front Of Your Mind
Life happens and can get busy before we're able to form new habits that support our resolutions. Simple actions can work wonders. Remind yourself of what you're trying to achieve on a regular basis. We offer plenty of CPD opportunities to help support you in your daily tasks. This year, make sure you've registered for our newsletter, tune into our webinar series and book out a day in your calendar to attend a free school marketing roadshow.